Wednesday 5 March 2014

MEASURE FOR MEASURE by William Shakespeare


Act II, sc.4



ISABELLA
To whom should I complain? Did I tell this,
Who would believe me? O perilous mouths,
That bear in them one and the same-self tongue
Either of condemnation or approof,
Bidding the law make curtsey to· their will,
Hooking both right and wrong to th' appetite ·
To follow as it draws! I'll to my brother.
Though he hath fall'n by prompture of the blood,
Yet hath he in him such a mind of honour,
That had he twenty heads to tender down
On twenty bloody blocks, he'd yield them up
Before his sister should her body stoop
To such abhorr' d pollution.
Then, Isabel live chaste, and brother, die:
More than our brother is our chastity.
I'll tell him yet of Angelo's request,
And fit his mind to death, for his soul's rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment